1633 – Aqua Pilates Certificate
Beginner / Pool Workshop
Sanibel, FL / Thursday, June 27, 2019 – 7:30 am-5:00 pm – 7.0 credit hours
Pool: 7:30-9:15 am
Classroom: 9:15-11:00 am
Lunch on own: 11:30 am-12:00 pm
Classroom: 1:30-3:15 pm
Pool: 3:15-5:00 pm
Faculty: Mary Wykle, PhD, ATRIC
Aqua Pilates provides access to Pilates that many patients and clients cannot access on land. The transfer from land to water of the exercises was developed as exact as possible and presented in a progressive order with adaptations for anyone needing movement correction. Mat Pilates on land is mostly rounded, but in the water many of the exercises become angular. This is important for anyone with spinal issues. Aqua Pilates is an important tool to add to your treatment options as it trains correct movement patterns while strengthening the core and improving diaphragmatic breathing. Strength and extension throughout the body occurs with practice. One-to-one is preferred for therapists and personal trainers in order to insure correct execution. There are 34 exercises, but selection of those appropriate for your patient or client provides the ability to concentrate on the areas diagnosed for correction.
1) Review principles and techniques of basic Aqua Pilates and Mat Pilates.
2) Introduce Pilates as a therapeutic intervention for corrective exercise training.
3) Identify the exercises essential for muscle control and symmetry – static and with movement.
4) Modify exercises for differing populations to achieve desired results.
5) Practice using the geometric box, powerhouse muscles, and segmental movement.
6) Incorporate the breath to assist the exercises.
7) Determine appropriate progressions.
8) Practice the identified exercises – modification, progression, joint mobility, muscle contraction and symmetry in the pool and the classroom.
FACULTY: Mary Wykle, PhD, ATRIC, presents for ATRI and AEA. Course development includes aquatic re-conditioning programs for the Army and USMC. Additional programs include Aqua Pi-Yo-Chi™, Core Stabilization and Safety Training. Aquatic recognitions include: AEA Global Award for Lifetime Achievement (2010); ISHOF Adapted Aquatics Award (2007); ATRI Aquatic Professional of the Year (2006); ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award (2004) and ATRI Dolphin Award (2002).