2244 – Optimizing ROM
Intermediate / Pool Workshop
Sanibel, FL / Wednesday, June 26, 2019 – 8:00 am-12:00 pm – 4.0 credit hours
(Pool: 8:00-10:00 am / Classroom: 10:00 am-12:00 pm)
Faculty: Connie Jasinskas, MSc
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This session will offer methods to restore/improve range of motion using a combination of Self-AquaStretch™ (SAS), and static/dynamic stretching techniques. SAS can improve clients’ ability to problem solve soft tissue pain and movement restriction. Combined with static and dynamic stretch techniques, SAS facilitates optimization of movement range for a variety of health issues. Client empowerment, improved body awareness, and self-efficacy are emphasized. People with neuropathic pain have been shown to have a positive response to SAS because it is self-administered. Static and dynamic stretches are enhanced following SAS. SAS and stretch techniques for the extremities, core, and neck will be demonstrated and practiced. This session is ideal for 1:1 client care as well as small-group therapy sessions.
1) Examine research-based evidence regarding stretching terminology, efficacy and application.
2) List benefits and use of Self-AquaStretch™/ Self-Administered Stretch (SAS) procedures and technique for restoration of movement range.
3) Discuss SAS protocols and instructional techniques relevant to client needs for fascial release, pain abatement, and restoration of range of motion.
4) Consider when and how to integrate stretching protocols into a rehab session.
5) Practice static and dynamic stretch techniques to compliment SAS, including stretches for the lower extremities, upper extremities, core and neck.
6) Use a case study approach to select and practice SAS and complimentary stretches appropriate for a variety of client needs.
FACULTY: Connie Jasinskas, MSc, has been bringing passion and humor to her work as an international author and educator since 1984. AquaStretch™ Foundations and AquaStretch™ Certificate Course co-author, Connie specializes in AquaStretch™ and aquatic rehab for chronic pain, breast cancer, musculoskeletal and systemic health issues. Visit her websites to learn more: www.AquaStretchCanada.com and www.FortheLoveofFit.com.