2307 – Joint Replacement Rehab
Intermediate / Pool Workshop
Denver (Aurora), CO / Sunday, October 6, 2019 – 8:00 am-3:30 pm - 7.0 credit hours
Classroom: 8:00-9:45 am
Indoor Pool: 9:45-11:30 am
Lunch on own: 11:30 am-12:00 pm
Classroom: 12:00-1:45 pm
Indoor Pool: 1:45-3:30 pm
Faculty: Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC
The age of persons receiving knee and hip replacements is getting younger. The technology of joint replacement surgery is advancing. Have these new factors affected aquatic therapy? What about elbow replacement, shoulder replacement, or ankle replacement? Learn how you can continue a client’s functional progress with water exercise from the acute stage to outpatient, to discharge from physical therapy into the community. Demonstrate basic skills, modifications, fascia release, cueing techniques and progressions for implementing aquatic exercises with orthopedic clients, whether one on one, or in a group setting.
1) Review traditional joint replacements for the ankle, knees, hips, shoulder and elbow.
2) Review minimally invasive joint replacements for hips and knees.
3) Discuss the latest surgical techniques for joint replacements for hips and knees.
4) Discuss infection control and use of Tegaderm.
5) Hear pros and cons from doctors on aquatic physical therapy 2-3 days post-op.
6) Identify the benefits of aquatic physical therapy for total joint replacements.
7) Experience ortho exercises with and without buoyant equipment.
8) Experience ortho exercises with drag resistant equipment.
9) Learn which AquaStretch techniques can benefit joint replacement patients.
10) Practice teaching static and contract/relax stretching techniques.
FACULTY: Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC, has been involved with aquatic fitness since 1982. She is a Training Specialist with the Aquatic Exercise Association, a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) specializing in aquatic therapy, and instructor of a variety of aquatic fitness classes to persons of all ages and abilities. Terri holds certifications from AEA, ATRI, and IAR; and is a Certified Personal Trainer for both land and water. She is co-author of “Applications of PNF Techniques in the Aquatic Setting” manual and co-producer of “PNF in the Pool” video. She is the 2001 recipient of ATRI’s Dolphin Award and the 2010 recipient of the ATRI Professional Award.