2608 – Ai Chi Seated
Intermediate / Pool Workshop
Chicago, IL / Friday, April 12, 2019 – 1:00-3:00 pm – 2.0 credit hours
(Classroom: 1:00-2:00 pm / Indoor Pool: 2:00-3:00 pm)
Faculty: Donna Lewen, BA, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The practice of Ai Chi can be modified based on the needs of different clients; not only on their physical needs but also on their emotional needs. In this course, integration will be used sitting in a chair. Unpredictable Command Technique patterning is also integrated, moving the head with the hands as well as opposite the hands, improving balance and assisting in fall prevention. Accented stretching is used to amplify the effects, stretching the entire myofascial lines during Ai Chi Seated.
1) Explore weight shift seated on land.
2) Integrate enhanced upper extremity movement to maximize pain relief with Myofascial Release.
3) Integrate mind/body/spirit mindfulness in the process.
4) Experience opening up Chinese Meridians during Ai Chi.
5) Determine the overlap of the clinical fascial system and traditional Chinese Medicine Meridian system.
FACULTY: Donna Lewen, BA, ATRIC, has dedicated her life to aquatics for more than 25 years, and currently works with aging adults and persons with disabilities. She was an Arthritis Foundation Trainer for over 20 years, a consultant at Ability360, and an AquaStretch™ Facilitator/Trainer. She was the recipient of the 2016 ATRI Aquatic Therapy Professional Award, the 2012 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award, and the 2013 Arthritis Foundation Regional Public Service Award-University of Pittsburgh Community Service Award. She continues her studies in Energy Medicine, and is a Reiki Master/Trainer. Beyond her active practice, she offers intuitive guidance and wellness coaching.