2614 – Structural Aqua Yoga in Pregnancy
Intermediate / Pool Workshop
Sanibel, FL / Tuesday, June 25, 2019 – 1:00-5:00 pm – 4.0 credit hours
(Classroom: 1:00-3:00 pm / Pool: 3:00-5:00 pm)
Faculty: Camella Nair, Swami, C-IAYT
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Pregnant women undergo distinct physiological changes along with unique physical and psychological demands. Discover what yoga studies and research indicate may be beneficial for improving pregnancy, labor and birth outcomes. We will examine how yoga protocol can help to balance emotional, mental and muscular/skeletal changes and improve the wellbeing of mother and baby, which may help to prevent adverse cognitive function in children later on. We will review evidence based postural changes in pregnancy and discuss how to cultivate optimal breathing patterns that may help women prepare for labor and help reduce pain, and how it relates to pelvic floor health. There are advantages of prenatal women practicing in the water, and we will integrate what we have learned for our prenatal clients on land with appropriate adaptations in the water.
1) Explore research relating to posture during pregnancy.
2) Review anecdotal information for aquatics and prenatal.
3) Explain variations in somatic types and skeletal issues.
4) Confirm evidence-based exercises suggested for the prenatal woman.
5) Prioritize exercises according to the most common issues.
6) Interpret aquatic research and the prenatal body.
1) Practice an evidence-based protocol for the common pregnant woman.
2) Experience modifications for common exercises to protect special populations.
3) Review yoga postures conducive to pregnancy.
4) Create a sample program to use.
FACULTY: Camella Nair, Swami, C-IAYT, is one of the few ordained female Swamis currently teaching in the Kriya Lineage. It is an unbroken line of gurus dating back thousands of years. She pioneered Aqua Kriya Yoga 20 years ago and travels to certify teachers in this field. As a female disciple, she authored “Prenatal Kriya Yoga” which is a mystical journey into pregnancy and motherhood. A registered Yoga Therapist and Prenatal Yoga Alliance registered teacher, she has a comprehensive online home-study in prenatal yoga at www.prenatalkriyayoga.com.