2622 – Pelvic Floor Health with Yoga
Intermediate / Land Workshop
Sanibel, FL / Thursday, June 27, 2019 – 1:30-5:00 pm – 3.5 credit hours
(Classroom: 1:30-5:00 pm)
Faculty: Camella Nair, Swami, C-IAYT
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Healthy pelvic floor function as the body ages is vital to reduce stress, improve breathing, and sustain continence. Validate how aging men who do pelvic floor muscle exercises pre-surgery have improved outcomes, and improvements can be experienced in women after having children or going through menopause who may suffer organ prolapse. Learn how a hypertonic/hypotonic pelvic floor can cultivate erroneous breathing patterns which can lead to stress and pain. We will review the musculoskeletal structure of the pelvic floor and analyze some common pathologies along with research in this field. We will investigate and practice some yoga therapy interventions and develop a greater awareness of the pelvic floor that we can apply on a personal level and also recommend to clients/students. We will also explore how application in the water may improve the outcome.
1) Explore and classify the pelvic floor on a personal level.
2) Review the function of the pelvic floor and current yoga therapy research.
3) Examine how aging, gravity, and life circumstances can affect the pelvic floor.
4) Evaluate hypotonic versus hypertonic pelvic floor and what that means.
5) Distinguish how breath can inform and ultimately contribute to a more functional pelvic floor.
6) Practice yoga therapy protocol for self-clarification and validate possible recommendations for clients/students.
FACULTY: Camella Nair, Swami, C-IAYT, is one of the few ordained female Swamis currently teaching in the Kriya Lineage. It is an unbroken line of gurus dating back thousands of years. She pioneered Aqua Kriya Yoga 20 years ago and travels to certify teachers in this field. As a female disciple, she authored “Prenatal Kriya Yoga” which is a mystical journey into pregnancy and motherhood. A registered Yoga Therapist and Prenatal Yoga Alliance registered teacher, she has a comprehensive online home-study in prenatal yoga at www.prenatalkriyayoga.com.