2303 – Hip, Back, and Lower Leg Techniques
Intermediate / Pool Workshop
Boston, MA / Saturday, March 21, 2019 – 1:00-5:00 pm – 4.0 credit hours
(Indoor Pool: 1:00-3:00 pm / Classroom: 3:00-5:00 pm)
Faculty: Beth Scalone, PT, DPT, OCS, ATRIC
As the song goes the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone. This course will focus on integrative techniques for addressing hip, back and lower leg impairments. Lecture will focus on combining research with clinical pearls in addressing mobility, strength and functional deficits with aquatic treatment techniques. The lab will apply various manual and therapeutic exercise techniques from isolation activities to functional integrative movement.
1) List the top five most common impairments in individuals with hip, back and lower leg diagnoses.
2) Describe how muscles of the lower limb function in closed chain/functional activity versus open chain.
3) Recognize the correlation between hip mobility impairments and lumber spine movement dysfunction.
4) Apply 3-4 aquatic manual therapy techniques to improve hip, back and lower leg mobility.
5) Progress and cue client through isolative to integrative lower quadrant, aquatic exercise.
FACULTY: Beth Scalone, PT, DPT, OCS, ATRIC, is a licensed physical therapist with many years of experience in orthopedic and aquatic therapy. As the owner of North County Water and Sports Therapy Center in San Diego (www.waterpt.com), she continues with hands-on clinical care in addition to her role as educator. Since graduating from the University of Connecticut in 1991, Beth has belonged to the American Physical Therapy Association and has achieved certification as a Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy. In January 2006, she graduated from Boston University with a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. Additional certifications include Certified STOTT Pilates™ instructor and Master Instructor for the Burdenko Method.
Beth not only provides continuing education for health care professionals, she is an adjunct faculty in the San Diego Mesa College PTA program, teaching Orthopedic Rehabilitation and Introduction to Pathology courses. She also provides the learning module/instruction on aquatic therapy to the University of St. Augustine San Diego Campus DPT program. She is the recipient of the 2010 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award and the 2012 ATRI Professional Award.