2609 – BackHab for Ortho Issues
Intermediate / Pool Workshop
Albuquerque, NM / Sunday, March 8, 2020 – 8:00-11:30 am – 3.5 credit hours
(Indoor Pool: 8:00-9:45 am / Classroom: 9:45-11:30 am)
Boston, MA / Sunday, March 22, 2020 – 12:00-3:30 pm – 3.5 credit hours
(Indoor Pool: 12:00-1:45 pm / Classroom: 1:45-3:30 pm)
Faculty: Ruth Sova, MS, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: BackHab focuses on relearning functional movement patterns with carryover to activities of daily living. Edge-of-pool exercises are moved into ambulation and then progressions are added to further challenge qualities such as balance, coordination, endurance, trunk stability and proprioception. Alignment with neutral spine is re-evaluated with every change in exercise.
We will discuss specific application of exercises, progressions and focus with chronic pain (from surgery, injury, fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc), with orthopedic issues like shoulder, hip, knee, and back disorders, and a little regarding chronic conditions, and some neurological applications. BackHab can be used in one-on-one rehab and personal training, in groups, and the client can use it independently for post-rehab conditioning.
1) Differentiate between progressions for balance, coordination, endurance, muscular strength, etc.
2) Compare goals for each exercise.
3) Analyze and practice step length, width, swing and roll.
4) Evaluate alignment and neutral spine with every transition.
5) Expand therapeutic tools to integrate muscular endurance and strength, balance, coordination, trunk stability, and gait training.
6) Gain awareness of alignment with varied strides.
7) Experiment with balance challenges.
8) Consider the integration in BackHab.
9) Follow logical progressions.
FACULTY: Ruth Sova, MS, ATRIC, founder/president of ATRI, is an internationally known speaker, author and consultant. She is the founder of six different businesses including the Aquatic Therapy & Rehab Institute, the Aquatic Exercise Association, Living Right Magazine, America’s Certification Trainers, Armchair Aerobics Inc., and the Fitness Firm. A leader in the health and wellness industry, she also draws on her vast experience as an entrepreneur to teach others what it takes to assume the risk of business and enterprise. Ruth is the author of numerous articles and 15 books on her specialties of wellness and business. She is the recipient of numerous awards including the Sevier-McCahill Disability International Foundation Award; and the John Williams, Jr. International Swimming Hall of Fame Adapted Aquatics Award. Known for her high energy and practical teaching approaches, Ruth has brought thousands of people over the years to understand the benefits of water exercise.