1218 – Pediatrics and Aquatics
3 credit hours equal to 3 CECs/.3 CEUs
Faculty: Carolyn Sprehe, BS, ATRIC
Pediatrics and aquatics will discuss the development of a child. Examine the positioning of a child in the pool related to the functional positions of the child. Integrate parental involvement and teaching with songs, games, and fun.
1) Identify five areas of child development.
2) Assess three positions in water (supine, prone & side lying).
3) Examine progression of prone and supine positions.
4) Determine progression to functional positions such as sitting, standing, and walking.
5) Explore breath control.
6) Identify three songs or games used with pediatrics and aquatics.
FACULTY: Carolyn Sprehe, BS, ATRIC, specializes in water-based programs for people with developmental disabilities in her work at ShowMe Aquatics & Fitness, a non-profit organization that promotes health and fitness for people of all abilities. She has a BS in Exercise Science from Northeast Missouri State/Truman University, is ATRI certified and was a Special Olympics Swim Coach. Carolyn received the 2003 Outstanding Recreation Provider Award from the Recreation Council of Greater St. Louis.