1312 – COREssentials for Balance
Beginner / 3-hour Workshop
Faculty: Laurie Denomme, B. Kinesiology
Balance is integral in everything we do and yet many people are challenged by the fear of falling. Through use of a dynamic systems approach, learn how to use specific movements to increase body awareness, coordination and reaction time for improved stability. Build capability and confidence for all activities by waking up the body’s internal system of detection and interpretation of movement. Experience fun-to-do, one- and two-footed exercises designed to keep the body strong, improve safety and maintain independence. Basic to advanced options will challenge you to stand your ground!
1) Improve balance by learning and understanding how the muscles, joints and proprioceptors relate and work together.
2) Examine a 3-dimenstional movement strategy to create effective exercises.
3) Progressively use buoyancy and resistance to maximize client potential.
4) Determine personalized progressions using: range of motion, load, impact, speed and turbulence.
5) Identify C.O.R.E. essentials to design safe and effective water exercise programs.
Connect the brain, body and spirit through 3D movement.
Optimize movement efficiency by treating everyone as an individual.
Reduce pain and stiffness while improving strength and stamina.
Empower clients to use buoyancy and resistance to reach obtainable goals.
FACULTY: Laurie Denomme, B. Kinesiology, is an AquaStretch™ Instructor, NG360 Nike Golf Performance Specialist, and GIFT Fellow through the Gray Institute. She has presented nationally and internationally at AEA, ATRI, IDEA and other conferences, having been voted as a Top 10 presenter at AEA’s International Conference in both 2011 and 2012, and is the recipient of the 2013 AEA Fitness Professional Global Award.