1622 – AquaStretchTM Essentials and Review
Beginner / 8-hour Workshop
Faculty: Donna Adler, BA, ATRIC / Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC
This course presents the essentials and review of applications of AquaStretch™, a form of individual and facilitated aquatic exercise that has been successful in treating various patient populations including those suffering from chronic pain to elite athletes. For those who are taking this as a review, the AquaStretch™ facilitator’s treatment effectiveness will be enhanced. This course is also ideal for those new to the AquaStretch™ technique. AquaStretch™ theoretically breaks down fascial adhesions utilizing a combination of the facilitator/therapist’s manual pressure and the client/ patient’s active movement. The AquaStretch™ method can be utilized as a wellness program or specifically applied as a skilled aquatic therapy technique.
1) Determine the basic AquaStretch™ theories including, restoration of movement, stretch resistance, fascial adhesions, and intuitive movement.
2) Safely progress a client through eight basic starting positions and grips within the AquaStretch™ wellness program.
3) Effectively cue and perform the basic AquaStretch™ procedure, including continuation of vector.
4) Determine appropriate water depth and equipment usage including safe application and removal of weights.
5) Describe appropriate level of documentation for various aquatic therapy settings.
6) Describe the benefits of the AquaStretch™ techniques for various patient populations.
FACULTY: Donna Adler, BA, ATRIC, owns and operates Liquid Assets for Fitness in Phoenix, AZ. She works with geriatrics, pediatrics and clients with health challenges. Donna is an AquaStretch™ Facilitator and ATRI AquaStretch™ Trainer, and the recipient of the 2012 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award. She is a co-author of the Aquatic Solutions for Chronic Conditions Manual, and is a consultant at the Virginia G. Piper Sports and Fitness Facility for Persons with Disabilities. Donna also continues her studies at the Center of Applied Energy Medicine in a Medical Intuitive Training program.
Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC, has been involved with aquatic fitness since 1982. She is a Training Specialist with the Aquatic Exercise Association, a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) specializing in aquatic therapy, and instructor of a variety of aquatic fitness classes to persons of all ages and abilities. Terri is on staff at the University of Texas at Austin and enjoys working with young adults in the water. She holds certifications from AEA, ATRI, and IAR. Terri is a Certified Personal Trainer for both land and water. She is co-author of “Applications of PNF Techniques in the Aquatic Setting” manual and co-producer of “PNF in the Pool” video. She is the 2001 recipient of ATRI’s Dolphin Award and the 2010 recipient of the ATRI Professional Award.