2502 – Neuro Bootcamp
Intermediate / 3-hour Workshop
Faculty: Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC
Neuro patients with high-level function require more than basics in their recovery. From balance training, coordination, endurance and sport, many aquatic therapy techniques are applicable. Go beyond the basics of Ai Chi, PNF and cadence training to create a Neuro Bootcamp designed for neurologically injured athletes, military and more.
1) Assess the neurological injuries suffered by members of the U.S. military.
2) Examine current aquatic neuro studies being conducted on members of the U.S. military.
3) Explore the Ai Chi movements and benefits for high-level neuro patients.
4) Determine PNF UE and LE techniques and applications for high-level neuro patients.
5) Discover cadence training for various levels of fitness.
6) Create a workout to incorporate neurological techniques for high-level neuro patients.
FACULTY: Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC, has been involved with aquatic fitness since 1982. She is a Training Specialist with the Aquatic Exercise Association, a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) specializing in aquatic therapy, and instructor of a variety of aquatic fitness classes to persons of all ages and abilities. Terri is on staff at the University of Texas at Austin and enjoys working with young adults in the water. She holds certifications from AEA, ATRI, and IAR. Terri is a Certified Personal Trainer for both land and water. She is co-author of “Applications of PNF Techniques in the Aquatic Setting” manual and co-producer of “PNF in the Pool” video. She is the 2001 recipient of ATRI’s Dolphin Award and the 2010 recipient of the ATRI Professional Award.