2512 Đ ParkinsonŐs Disease: Improving Functional Mobility
Intermediate / 4-hour Workshop
Faculty: Mary LaBarre, PT, DPT, ATRIC
Provide evidence-based research for evaluation and treatment of individuals with Parkinsonism and ParkinsonŐs Disease. The course will discuss the use of aquatic exercise in rehabilitation and community exercise programs.
1) Identify prevalence of ParkinsonŐs Disease and discuss possible risk factors for developing disease.
2) Examine diagnosis criteria and medical treatment options that might influence rehabilitation.
3) Explore methods of examination including functional assessment for individuals with ParkinsonŐs Disease.
4) Assess exercise and its effect on Parkinson symptoms.
5) Experience aquatic exercise for individuals with ParkinsonŐs Disease.
FACULTY: Mary Rosenberg, PT, DPT, ATRIC, is a full-time physical therapist, specializing in aquatic-based rehab at YMCA Healthy Living Center in the Des Moines, Iowa metro area. She works with a variety of patient populations including cardiopulmonary, orthopedic, neurological, general debility, sports medicine and chronic pain diagnoses. Mary is also a certified clinical instructor and has participated in Diabetes Education programming. She has completed the ATRI Lumbar Stabilization and AquaStretch Specialty Certificate Programs.