2610 - BackHab Certification
Intermediate / 8-hour Workshop
Faculty: Ruth Sova, MS, ATRIC
The BackHab Certification focuses on vertical exercises for an adult population relearning functional movement patterns after injury or surgery. The exercises have carryover to activities of daily living. Edge-of-pool exercises are moved into ambulation and then progressions are added to further challenge qualities such as balance, coordination, endurance, trunk stability and proprioception. Alignment with neutral spine is re-evaluated with every change in movement pattern. Precautions and modifications are included.
While BackHab was created for back issues, it expanded its application to all orthopedic and chronic conditions when the BackHab Progressions were added. The program has been used successfully with chronic pain (from surgery, injury, fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc), with shoulder, hip, knee, and back disorders, and with chronic conditions such as asthma, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, aging issues, and with neuro issues such as MS and CVA.
The class will discuss specific application of exercises, progressions and focus.
BackHab can be used in one-on-one rehab and personal training, in groups, and the client can use it independently for post-rehab conditioning.
The BackHab Certification will allow practitioners to train and certify colleagues.
1) Differentiate between progressions for balance, coordination, endurance, muscular strength.
2) Compare goals for each exercise.
3) Analyze and practice stride length, width, swing and roll.
4) Experience continuous, graded resistance.
5) Evaluate alignment and neutral spine with every transition.
6) Assess patient/client with exercise-specific considerations.
7) Expand therapeutic tools to integrate muscular endurance and strength, balance, coordination, trunk stability, and gait training.
8) Practice awareness of alignment with varied strides.
9) Experiment with balance challenges.
10) Consider the concepts of integration.
11) Follow logical progressions.
FACULTY: Ruth Sova, MS, ATRIC, an internationally known speaker, author and consultant, is the founder of six different businesses including the Aquatic Therapy & Rehab Institute, the Aquatic Exercise Association, Living Right Magazine, America’s Certification Trainers, Armchair Aerobics Inc., and the Fitness Firm. A leader in the health and wellness industry, she also draws on her vast experience as an entrepreneur to teach others what it takes to assume the risk of business and enterprise. Ruth is on the Wisconsin Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and is the author of numerous articles and eleven books on her specialties of wellness and business. She is the recipient of numerous awards including the Sevier-McCahill Disability International Foundation Award; and the John Williams, Jr. International Swimming Hall of Fame Adapted Aquatics Award. Known for her high energy and practical teaching approaches, Ruth has brought thousands of people over the years to understand the benefits of water exercise.