2614 – Ortho and Neuro Applications for PNF
Intermediate / 3-hour Workshop
Faculty: Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: PNF is the perfect solution for deficits in balance, coordination, strength, and range of motion. Review the concepts of PNF and apply the spiral diagonal patterns to ortho and neuro patients. Specific applications will be provided for persons with Parkinson’s, CVA, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, post-mastectomy and total knee replacement. PNF will be applied in vertical, prone and supine positions in the pool. Experience the exceptional results of PNF in the pool in small group and one-on-one applications.
1) Review the fundamentals of PNF movement patterns for the upper and lower extremities.
2) Determine how to maximize the benefits of PNF in the aquatic environment.
3) Outline common deficits of Parkinson’s, post-mastectomy, CVA, Fibromyalgia, MS, and TKR.
4) Identify how to use PNF patterns to improve balance, coordination and range of motion.
5) Examine specific PNF solutions for these special populations and how to overcome common obstacles to progression.
FACULTY: Terri Mitchell, BA, PTA, ATRIC, has been involved with aquatic fitness since 1982. She is a Training Specialist with the Aquatic Exercise Association, a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) specializing in aquatic therapy, and instructor of a variety of aquatic fitness classes to persons of all ages and abilities. Terri is on staff at the University of Texas at Austin and enjoys working with young adults in the water. She holds certifications from AEA, ATRI, and IAR. Terri is a Certified Personal Trainer for both land and water. She is co-author of “Applications of PNF Techniques in the Aquatic Setting” manual and co-producer of “PNF in the Pool” video. She is the 2001 recipient of ATRI’s Dolphin Award and the 2010 recipient of the ATRI Professional Award.