Intermediate / Half-Day Course
Live via Zoom / Sunday, September 27, 2020 – 12:00-3:30 pm Pacific Daylight Time
3.5 credit hours
(Lecture with potential Pool Demo or Video)
Faculty: Julia Meno, CTRS, CMT, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: If you have a neck you will appreciate this course! Learn aquatic techniques to address stiff and/or painful muscles of the neck. The fascia of the cervical muscles extends beyond just the neck. You will learn select Cervical Fascial Releases (CFR) from several aquatic therapy modalities, i.e. Aguahara™, AquaStretch™, Myofascial Aquatics© and Watsu®. Instruction in Myofascial and Trigger Point Release of: Trapezius, Levator Scapulae, Mulitifidi, Splenius Cervicis, Scalenes, SCM, and Infraspinatus muscles.
1) Explore visual and touch techniques to identify cervical muscular imbalances and how to locate a trigger point within specific muscles that contribute to neck pain.
2) Determine precautions and contraindications for cervical fascial release.
3) Determine the body position and mechanics for performing CFR in the pool with applications in supine vs. vertical.
4) Practice gentle cervical soft tissue mobilization on yourself and with a partner on land and in the pool.
5) Practice learned aquatic CFR techniques in a warm water pool.
6) Demonstrate correct application of CFR using Drag, Traction, Undulation, Compression, Grasp and Vibration.
FACULTY: Julia Meno, CTRS, CMT, ATRIC, is the founder/owner of Therapeutic Aquatics, Inc. and provides individual Myofascial Aquatic Body Work, AquaStretch™ and adaptive aquatic classes. She is the author and publisher of The Bad Ragaz Ring Method Visual Instructional Manual and Video; and co-producer of the PNF in The Pool and Myofascial Aquatic Body Work DVDs. She received the 2014 Aquatic Therapy Professional Award and the 2002 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award.