Intermediate / Half-Day Workshop
Washington, DC / Thursday, September 9, 2021 – 8:30 am-12:00 pm – 3.5 credit hours
(Classroom: 8:30-10:15 am / Indoor Pool: 10:15 am-12:00 pm)
Faculty: Donna Lewen, BA, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course includes myofascial release techniques that can be sequenced into your aquatic therapy treatment plan for the upper extremity. Sequencing techniques will explore the use of contract-relax, intuitive movement, accentuation and intentional movement for the upper extremities. Discussion of the myofascial meridians and how they relate to sequencing will be learned. The Intentional Sequencing Technique will assist therapists limited in time available to see patients/clients, who want to quickly begin integrating myofascial work into their manual therapy treatments. This workshop is ideal for those with limited shoulder and neck ROM, as well as general aquatic stretching techniques for athletes. This treatment method is hands-on and can be implemented as part of any health and wellness program.
1) Explore basic AquaStretch™ upper extremity procedures.
2) Apply a combination of contract-relax, intuitive movement, accentuation and intentional movement to optimize manual aquatic therapy treatments.
3) Experience basic myofascial stretching procedures with variations in AquaStretch™ neck and shoulder grips.
4) Demonstrate benefits for neck and shoulder pain, and general lack of ROM whether it’s from acute or chronic pain.
5) Examine trigger points and their interrelation to Intentional Sequencing.
6) Comparisons will be made regarding the link in the upper extremity and lower extremity as it relates to myofascial release.
FACULTY: Donna Lewen, BA, ATRIC, has dedicated her life to aquatics for more than 25 years, and currently works with aging adults and persons with disabilities. She was an Arthritis Foundation Trainer for over 20 years, a consultant at Ability360, and an AquaStretch™ Facilitator/Trainer. She was the recipient of the 2016 ATRI Aquatic Therapy Professional Award, the 2012 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award, and the 2013 Arthritis Foundation Regional Public Service Award-University of Pittsburgh Community Service Award. She continues her studies in Energy Medicine, and is a Reiki Master/Trainer. Beyond her active practice, she offers intuitive guidance and wellness coaching.