Intermediate / Half-Day Course
Morgantown, WV / Sunday, August 22, 2021 – 8:00-11:30 am – 3.5 credit hours
(Classroom: 8:00-9:45 am / Indoor Pool: 9:45-11:30 am)
Faculty: Camella Nair, Swami, C-IAYT
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The biophysical model of health includes biological, social, and psychological factors. Therapeutic Yoga is a science that is becoming an increasingly acknowledged strategy endorsed by the medical profession to ease the burden on the healthcare system and reduce prescribed medication which tends to mask imbalances in the body systems.
Back disorders include structural abnormalities, as well as, pain in the thoracic and lumbopelvic spine, including associated joints, muscles, ligaments, fascia, nerves and other structures. Non-specific LBP lacks a clear anatomical cause in 85% of cases. Other types of pain attributed to specific causes such as discogenic pain or spinal stenosis, account for 15% of all back pain. LBP is considered acute if it lasts up to 6 weeks, sub-acute if it continues on for 6-12 weeks and chronic for at least 12 weeks.
Treatment, surgery, opioids, steroid injections. Clinical guidelines have been revised and emphasize mind-body practices like yoga and tai chi. LBP is the most common reason for using complementary and integrative therapies.
1) Explore the architecture of the spine and examine its functions of support, protection and mobilization.
2) Briefly discuss how yoga strategies can help common back injuries such as sprains, spasms, ruptured or herniated discs, fractures, spinal stenosis, as well as sciatica, arthritis and FML.
3) Examine back pain as a secondary issue to kidney stones, pregnancy, obesity and endometriosis as well as thickening of myofascia in the lower back.
4) Determine how an aquatic yoga protocol can help decompress the spine, improve balance and core stability along with improved endurance and cardiovascular conditioning.
5) Practice yoga postures and other protocol that may help combat discomfort with osteoarthritis, which is the prevalent form of arthritis affecting 27 million adults in the USA. It is the leading cause of disability and a significant contributor to reduced quality of life. Brain derived neurotropic factor and serotonin in premenopausal women has be shown to help in studies by utilizing yoga techniques.
6) Explore how additional weight can exacerbate underlying undiagnosed conditions based on data from 95 high quality studies that concluded the risk of LBP was directly related to an increase in BMI. Whilst it may not necessarily be the cause of pain, it may worsen any underlying disorders such as herniated disks and ligament hardening or spinal arthritis. Sun salutations in a study in 2017 showed significant results in reducing obesity (Sthaulya) after just 45 days. The aquatic environment and yoga combined may enable people to increase cardiovascular exercise safely and become established in a sustainable weight loss program, improve lifestyle and mood.
FACULTY: Camella Nair, Swami, C-IAYT, is one of the few ordained female Swamis currently teaching in the Kriya Lineage. It is an unbroken line of gurus dating back thousands of years. She pioneered Aqua Kriya Yoga 20 years ago and travels to certify teachers in this field. As a female disciple, she authored “Prenatal Kriya Yoga” which is a mystical journey into pregnancy and motherhood. A registered Yoga Therapist and Prenatal Yoga Alliance registered teacher, she has a comprehensive online home-study in prenatal yoga at www.prenatalkriyayoga.com