Advanced / Half-Day Course
Sanibel, FL / Tuesday, June 1, 2021 – 7:45-11:15 am – 3.0 credit hours
(Pool: 7:45-9:15 am / Classroom: 9:45-11:15 am)
Faculty: Julia Meno, CTRS, CMT, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is designed to provide aquatic therapy techniques for individuals with a neurological condition. Learn aquatic interventions that assist clients with body awareness, co-ordination and timing of active movement. These techniques are indicated for motor learning development and neuromuscular re-education. Focus on clinical considerations and aquatic techniques for neurological patients with mobility, balance, spasticity and pain disorders. Learn to apply neuromuscular and sensory sequencing strategies for balance, gait, coordination, ROM, sensory processing, neuromuscular re-education and pain management. Add to your ‘tool box’ to improve client outcomes for functional land-based daily activities.
1) Utilize a variety of sensory integration techniques in a hydrodynamic environment to elicit a sense of orientation, balance and control for the client.
2) Gain insight into the use of aquatic therapy to maximize relaxation and increase tissue elasticity, joint mobility, as well as, to facilitate a functional response for stabilization.
3) Practice basic skills, modifications, cueing techniques and progressions for implementing aquatic exercises with neurological clients, whether one-on-one, or in a group setting.
4) The pool lab will provide hands-on training for joint and postural stabilization, strengthening and functional activities.
5) The aquatic practitioner will develop critical thinking skills for when and how to increase ROM and muscular endurance using aquatic mobilizations, PNF (neuromuscular retraining techniques) and exercises in the pool.
FACULTY: Julia Meno, CTRS, CMT, ATRIC, is the founder/owner of Therapeutic Aquatics, Inc. and provides individual Myofascial Aquatic Body Work, AquaStretch™ and adaptive aquatic classes. She is the author and publisher of The Bad Ragaz Ring Method Visual Instructional Manual and Video; and co-producer of the PNF in The Pool and Myofascial Aquatic Body Work DVDs. She received the 2014 Aquatic Therapy Professional Award and the 2002 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award.