Ai Chi Education
ATRI Online Ed Information
(SPECIFIC COURSE LISTINGS BELOW)
$59 – 1-hour course
$84 – 1.5-hour course
$109 – 2-hour course
$159 – 3-hour course
$199 – 4-hour course
$275 – 6-hour course
$325 - 7-hour course
$375 – 8-hour course
$695 – Specialty Certificate Program (for Course Numbers 1611, 2237, 2311, 2318, 2319 only)
Once you have accessed the online course there is no refund available. If you cancel in writing within 3 months of purchase and have not accessed the course there is a 75% refund. This cancellation policy applies for all ATRI Online Education. Any cancellation policy you may see in the online registration process does not apply to ATRI Online Education.
No preparation is required for the courses. You may take time to review or ‘fast forward’ during the course.
How it works:
After you click below to register and pay for a course:
Your information will be sent to Linda Scott, who will register you on the Online Ed website and e-mail you your username, password and the link for your course. Linda’s e-mail is Lscott255@yahoo.com
After you begin taking the course:
You will be able to download and print the course handouts and materials as well as watch the course on your computer.
ATRI faculty members are often available for email questions after the course is completed. You will find their contact information in the course proceedings.
Ai Chi Course Information
1610 – Ai Chi in 3
Beginner / 1-hour Course
Faculty: Katrien Lemahieu, MSEN, ATRIC
COURSE DESCRIPTION: New Age Music (3/4 music) adds something special to 3-dimensional work in water, and because of the use of Ai Chi exercises in shallow water (all planes and axes), the combination gives a new influence that changes a lot. The biggest thing is that it does not change the tempo of the music (we will work on 128 bpm), but the three counts gives you the opportunity to work in an even bigger ROM then the original tempo. Speed or acceleration is therefore lowered and bring a new attractive way of doing the original Ai Chi. In Europe, we have lots of colder water pools. Our body and mind workouts know a more up tempo way of execution, so we had to find our way in it. As soon as I started doing Ai Chi with 3/4 music (with the same bpm!), participants started to feel the bigger ROM, without losing the feeling of lower tempo or speed. The influence it had was amazing! The combination of Ai Chi with the music adds a certain energy that can be shared with all.
1) Follow the basic Ai Chi progression with 3/4 music.
2) Explore the concepts of flow time, uptime, float time and downtime.
3) Experience the trunk stability movements with guidelines on proper pelvic mechanics.
4) Follow an exercise progression for an average, apparently healthy adult which can be modified for special situations.
FACULTY: Katrien Lemahieu, MSEN, ATRIC, has 20-plus years of experience in aquatics and has been a presenter worldwide since 2005. She studied physical education and holds a degree in Special Movement Education with an emphasis in Motoric Remedial Teaching and a focus on pediatrics. She has developed three e-learning programs on aquatic fitness (AquaMagicMoves) and is CEO of two educational institutes for aquatics: Kataqua for aquatic fitness and ProOZo for swimming. She is the organizer of the annual European Aquatic Fitness Conference (EAFC).
2631 – Ai Chi for Kids
Intermediate / 3.0 credit hours
(Classroom Viewing Time: 1.5 hours / Pool Viewing Time: 1.5 hours)
Faculty: Rodna Bordner, MOT, OT/L
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Ai Chi can benefit all children especially those with special needs. Regardless of individual abilities, Ai Chi encourages a child participate in motor exploration, facilitate sensory processing through imitation of movement patterns and support a calm and focused state by using deep breath. Using Ai Chi Ne, children develop peer bonding by physically and emotionally assisting each other. This workshop will encourage attendees to develop a comprehensive plan for using Ai Chi and Ai Chi Ne effectively in pediatric settings.
1) Demonstrate a working knowledge of Ai Chi and Ai Chi Ne postures.
2) Identify modifications for movements for specific individuals or groups.
3) Explore the sensory benefits of music used during Ai Chi and Ai Chi Ne.
4) Identify developmentally appropriate uses of Ai Chi and Ai Chi Ne for reflex integration, motor development and behavioral growth.
5) Adapt moves to perform Ai Chi in seated, standing, or supine positions.
6) Actively participate in land-based and pool experiences and discussions.
FACULTY: Rodna Bordner, MOT, OT/L, Ai Chi Instructor, has been active in aquatics for 50 years, starting her aquatic life as a swim instructor, and carrying her passion for the water into her occupational therapy career. She enjoyed a 30+-year career as a school-based OT and provided therapy on land and in the therapy pool. She has had the privilege of working with children enrolled in early childhood through school age programs. She currently works in the therapy pool with preschoolers with Autism. She has taught classes for ATRI since 1995 and received the Tsunami Spirit Award in 2002.
2802 - Ai Chi Certification
Intermediate / 8-hour Workshop
Faculty: Ruth Sova, MS, ATRIC
Take your Ai Chi experience to a new level. Prepare yourself to offer the best Ai Chi techniques to give improved care to your clients. Compare the benefits of Ai Chi for the average healthy adult and modifications to Ai Chi for special situations. Hear about the Eastern thought behind the movement performance and sequence of Ai Chi. Examine the continuing evolution of Ai Chi with several new ways to make the basic program more effective. Analyze the body and mind efforts necessary for a positive effect. Apply teaching techniques including lecturing, music, pacing and flow of a class or workshop. Examine several different ways to focus your Ai Chi instruction to create new or advanced Ai Chi opportunities for your clients. Ai Chi Ne (partner work) and Cultivating the Chi (advanced Ai Chi positions) and Visualization Journey are included in this program.
PLEASE NOTE THE POST-REQUISITE BELOW
- Learn the deeper concepts behind Ai Chi.
- Experiment with a new focus to give more depth.
- Gain experience with the intricacies of each movement pattern.
- Apply teaching and leadership skills and prewritten teaching scripts.
- Compare modifications for varied special populations.
For your clients:
- Show your excellence in teaching and caring for clients with professional development that provides a new and deeper way to nurture your clients.
- Prepare yourself to provide the best of this prestigious, highly regarded program.
- This proven, effortless program continues its healing reputation, strengthening the immune system, boosting the psyche, bringing focus to vital life forces and increasing energy.
- Experience the tranquil balance of the sympathetic and para-sympathetic systems, the soothing balance of yin and yang, and the balance of the body-mind.
- Enjoy the beauty and relaxation offered by combining the best of life – music, water, and Ai Chi. Feel the harmony and centering as your spirit awakens and you move toward self-actualization.
SUGGESTED PREREQUISITES (not mandatory):
- Candidates must practiced at least 100 sessions of Ai Chi either as a participant or as a practitioner.
- The candidate should have strong anatomy, kinesiology and physiology knowledge.
- Candidates must have completed the Ai Chi Basic Workshop.
Upon satisfactory completion of this course, participants will be certified as Ai Chi Basic Trainers.
The certification is good for two years and is simple to renew. You will get more renewal information in the course.
After finishing the course and online test please email a link of you teaching Ai Chi. It does not have to include the full progression.
Length: The film should be at least 7 minutes but no longer than 15 minutes.
Deadline: Please email the link within a month after completing the online course. After the video is watched and critiqued you will receive your certificate.
- Ai Chi in depth
- Cultivating the Chi (new Ai Chi positions)
- Practical teaching information
- Pool teaching scripts for varied learning focus
- Ai Chi for special populations
- The autonomic nervous system
- Breathing techniques and benefits
- The para-sympathetic and sympathetic systems
- Physical positioning
- The Visuatlization Journey
- Ai Chi practice in the pool